I am always on the search for a new coffee cake recipe as Jeff and Aidan love coffee cake. But I always return to this same, easy, delicious recipe. Jeff is pretty picky about what he wants in certain foods and basically, coffee cake must just be a mass of cinnamon. This has a basic light, fluffy cake with a mass of cinnamon streusel on top.
As usual, I turned to my favorite food recipe supplier - Southern Living. This one was from their December 2008 issue. I've tweaked it just a tiny bit. I doubled the streusel topping and added a tablespoon extra butter (Sassypriscilla, why can't you lose weight?) and eliminated the vanilla glaze. You can view the original recipe here. My recipe is below.
Here's a baking tip. Are you in a hurry to bake and have forgotten to take your butter out to get to room temperature? I do this all the time. Not a problem. No, no, no - stay away from the microwave. Just put your rock hard butter into your mixer and beat the heck out of it for a couple minutes. Now, without further ado (after the jump).
Quick Breakfast Coffee Cake
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
2 large eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup milk
2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
3 tablespoons melted butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 heaping teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Combine brown sugar, butter, flour, and cinnamon in a small bowl.
Coffee Cake Preparation
1. Preheat oven to 400°. Beat butter and sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until blended after each addition.
2. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to butter mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition.
3. Pour batter into a lightly greased 9-inch round cake pan, and top with Streusel.
4. Bake at 400° for 20 to 22 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.