It may not look like much but this took hours and hours of my time. It also used up two spools of thread and broke two machine needles. Perhaps it was cursed?
To think it all started from this Butterick pattern for a pumpkin.
I used an off-white fleece for the lining and then used bleached harem cloth for the 'toilet paper' as Aidan calls it. I call it mummy wrap.
Harem cloth is wonderful and can be used for sheer produce bags or in chenille projects. It is very much like cheesecloth but with a tighter weave and on a bolt. This took a little testing as I tea-dyed it. The first time I cut it into strips, dyed it and put it in the dryer with some jeans. Oops. I had gnarly, snarled grey-blue strips. The second time I tea-dyed it and then cut.
To tea dye, I used 6 lipton tea bags with about 6-8 cups of water. I boiled the water then let the fabric sit about 8 minutes. I then squeezed out the fabric and soaked it in a 50/50 vinegar/water bath for 10 minutes. I then dried it in the dryer sans jeans.
The strips were cut into 3" segments. They weren't perfect as I wanted to add to the dinge of the costume. I sewed the strips on before piecing the pattern together. I wasn't too perfect in my sewing to add to the mystique of the costume. I left some pieces of the mummy wrap hanging in the back and on the hood
It was really fun to make but time consuming. The instructions on the costume for the velcro closure were sparse and if I had more time, I would have done something different. Even though I measured Aidan and tried pieces on before sewing, I think I did something wrong because it just fits - not a lot of room for wiggle.
I got this done just in time for his school parade. Luckily, he can wear it again on Friday for Trick or Treat!