The cookie has a mild taste - more like a spritz cookie than a sugar cookie. I wouldn't mind testing these with a sugar cookie recipe. I tweaked a couple things with this recipe, including making the color balls first and then refrigerating, adding the sanding sugar on top and giving a little snake rolling explanation.
More pictures at the end of the recipe to show the process.
Adapted from All Recipes
3/4 cup butter, softened
3 ounces cream cheese
1 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
assorted colors of gel food coloring
white sanding sugar
- In a bowl cream butter, cream cheese and sugar until fluffy. Add egg and vanilla; beat until smooth.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt. Add dry ingredients to the creamed mixture. Stir till soft dough forms.
- Divide dough into thirds. Tint each with a different food color. Working with each color, shape dough into 3/4 inch balls and place on separate plates for each color. Wrap each plate in plastic wrap and chill for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. For each cookie place a red, blue and yellow ball together to make one large ball. Shape into a 12 inch long roll (like a snake). I find that the best way to do this is to roll from the middle out to the ends.
- Starting at one end, coil roll to make a 2 3/4 inch round cookie.
- Put sanding sugar on a small plate. Dip top of cookies in sanding sugar.
- Place cookies 3 inches apart on lightly greased baking sheet.
- Bake cookies for 8 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool and store in an airtight container.