It's that time of year - I'm obsessed with apples. The honeycrisps are at the store (and ready for picking in Wisconsin), we went apple picking, I patched an apple on Aidan's first day of school shirt, and I've made two apple themed desserts lately.
The first of the recipes was a delicious apple crisp based on a recipe on allrecipes.com.
Below is the recipe. I basically doubled the crisp portion and used a smaller pan. I can't say I used 4 cups of apples - I just used what was on hand and looked good. It was delicious!
Awesome Autumn Apple Crisp
adapted form AllRecipes.com
* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
* 2 cups brown sugar
* 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
* 1 cup butter, melted
* 4 cups peeled, cored and sliced apples
* 1/2 cup white sugar
* 1 tablespoon cornstarch
* 1/2 cup water
* 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon and melted butter. Stir until crumbly. Press half the oat mixture into an 8x8 inch baking dish. Cover with sliced apples.
- In a medium saucepan, combine white sugar, cornstarch, water and vanilla. Cook, stirring, until thick and clear, 10 minutes. Pour over apples. Cover apples with remaining crumble mixture.
- Bake in preheated oven 45 minutes, until bubbly and golden.
More pictures here: